Thursday, June 22, 2006

Fanaa - A Pleasant Surpise


I didn't think that I would like this - I actually tried to persuade my friend to go and see something else. Thankfully, she persisted, and I have to say that it was quite good!

I can't recall whether I've seen Aamir Khan and Kajol onscreen together before, but there's definitely a good chemistry there. In short, Kajol plays the role of a blind girl (Zooni), who falls in love with Aamir's character (Rehan). Without revealing too much of the plot, it becomes clear that he is not quite what he seems and so Zooni must decide whether she is with him or with the ultimate good.

Most of the songs are packed into the first half, as the second half does get darker. The 'Chand Sifarish' number is done really well and the historical backdrops look great on the big screen. I was surprised to find that the one which I enjoyed the most was 'Des Mera Rangeela' - very energetic and colourful (obviously!).

It's great to see Kajol back in action - she really does have substance; that's been lacking of late within the current crop of actresses. Aamir does well - he looks quite rough and haggard, but with age he's managed to develop a far more convincing 'evil streak'. He really can look menacing when he wants to. There's a small part for Tabu, but she doesn't really get the chance to make much of an impact, and Rishi Kapoor plays the role of Kajol's father.

Overall, I don't think I'll go as far as buying the movie on DVD when it's out, but I wouldn't say 'no' if someone were to offer to take me to watch it again - even if only for the song sequences and Kajol's great outfits ;o)

1 comment:

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

I adore the Des Mera Rangeela song too. Revisited the songs of this movie this past weekend, and have "Des rangila" stuck in my head- I have it no repeat in my car now. Its such a essentially HAPPY, lighthearted patriotic song- jsut makes me glad to be an Indian (not many of those genre are precisely happy).

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs