Monday, March 24, 2008

Chakde! India


Well. It's been about half a lifetime since I last watched a bolly flick the whole way through (spot the slight exaggeration).

I didn't think I'd enjoy this. It started off a tad slowly and I'm not the biggest fan of Mr SRK but I stuck with it.

Glad I did! By the end I was skipping around the room, wielding an imaginary hockey-stick and celebrating my gold medal. Well, almost.

SRK managed a restrained and rather fab portrayal of the coach with a score to settle. The understated nature of his performance made it so much more real - you could sense the emotion simmering underneath, rather than have to put up with the usual wails of agony and t-t-t-trembling voice (equals 'horrible' in my book).

'The gals' were great - the Punjabi lass had me in stitches with her retorts, although being of Punjabi persuasion myself I was a tad annoyed that they didn't sort out her mono-brow. (I know, I know, petty but *sigh*). Aaanyway, there was a bossy one, a bullying one, a naive one, a boyish one etc etc. Some faces I'd seen before, but mostly unfamiliar - which worked fabulously as it made them all more the believable (well, leaving aside the fact that a few jogs around Delhi/Mumbai/wherever it was were enough to turn them into world champions).

Overall, it was entertaining fare (and needing just a background score and all of 2 songs to appease the music-lovers). It's actually one I'd buy on DVD and watch again on some lazy day. Family-friendly, unusual-ish subject matter, not overly long, well-acted, and with a nice moral thrown in about not being so darned tribalistic. <---that might not be a real word, but it suits me just fine.

2 comments:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

It's super-duper fantastic and I can't wait to buy a copy (though my "to purchase" list is growing way too fast these days!). I loved your description of skipping around the room - right on!

Zorian said...

I knew you'd love the movie, it's one of the best Bollywood movies I've seen in a really long time! I loved the Punjabi girl, of all the players, she was the most hilarious, especially when she charged to beat up the Argentinian players! hehehehe

So glad you enjoyed it!

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs